Northern Indiana/Southern Michigan outdoors news and tips
Gerald Swindle: New Zoom Bait Should Be a Killer on Smallies
- Published on Tuesday, 14 May 2013 14:00
(Provided by Indiana DNR)
Tournament anglers who fish for largemouth bass in northern Indiana natural lakes have had no long-term negative effects on bass populations, according to a study by DNR fisheries biologists.
Biologists examined the numbers and sizes of bass caught at 22 organized events in 2011 and 2012, and compared the results to 23 events in 2001 through 2003.
Over the 10-year period, average catch rates of bass tournament anglers increased from one bass per 6.7 hours of fishing to one bass per 4.3 hours. The average number of bass brought to tournament weigh-ins increased from 1.2 per angler to 1.7.
- Published on Wednesday, 08 May 2013 17:03
Lake levels have returned to acceptable levels for normal motorboat operation on various northeast Indiana lakes.
As a result, the DNR has lifted temporary motorboating restrictions. Effective immediately, people can operate a motorboat on the following lakes:
- Barbee Lake chain, including Kuhn, Big Barbee, Little Barbee, Irish, Sechrist, Sawmill and Banning lakes.
- Tippecanoe Lake chain, including Lake Tippecanoe, James Lake (Little Tippy), and Oswego Lake.
- Indian Lake chain, including Westler, Witmer, Dallas, Hackenburg and Messick.
- Published on Tuesday, 07 May 2013 22:17
Werner, fishing for the St. Joe Valley Bassmasters, caught 22.90 pounds that included big bass (4.66 pounds) the first day of the two-day event. He caught his fish on a ¼-ounce Money Mouth prototype buzzbait and earned $650.
He fished the buzzbait in channels and followed up with a Money Mouth Fish Bone stickworm (watermelon/red flake) rigged wacky style.
The top eight anglers from 11 northern Indiana bass clubs competed.
- Published on Tuesday, 30 April 2013 14:34
(Provided by PRADCO)
Mike Christensen has been guiding walleye fishermen on opening day in Minnesota for 17 years, and says there should be some great shallow water walleye fishing on tap as soon as the season opens May 11.